Ministering to the Military
Bob and Yvonne are thankful for all the branches of the military of the USA. They support and pray for the men and women serving our nation. Bob has an extensive background ministering to the military when he was serving as The Chaplain of Waikiki Beach throughout the 70’s. Today the Turnbulls are still available to serve should the bugler’s call summon them. Below is a sampling of venues where Bob ministered.
- Represented the State of Hawaii at a Joint Civilian Orientation Conference (JCOC #42), sponsored by the Department of Defense. Ministered to many singles and married couples at some of the stops on the tour, which included NORAD, SAC Headquarters, Pensacola NAS, Perris Island and the Pentagon.
- Keynote speaker at four-day ‘encouragement’ series at a Service of Renewal, Barber’s Point NAS, Hawaii.
- Selected by Governor John Burns to represent Hawaii and attend the graduation week of the Army War College at Carlisle Barracks, Pennsylvania. DOD request.(While attending ministered to many officers and their spouses.)
- Again, selected by Governor John Burns to represent Hawaii and attend the graduation week of the National Security Forum at the Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Alabama. DOD request. (Again, while attending this function ministered to many officers and their spouses.)
- Presented CELEBRATION, a musical outreach in the summertime at 19:30 on Friday’s on the beach-lawn of Ft. DeRussy, co-sponsored by the Waikiki Beach Chaplaincy and the US Army Hawaii Chaplains Office.
- Started the Open Door Coffeehouse, Ft. DeRussy, at the request of the Army chaplains (in conjunction with four other ministries).
- Spoke for Admiral Zumwalt, Chief of Naval Operations, and the Commander in Chief of US Pacific Fleet, Lockwood Hall, Submarine Base, Pear Harbor.
- Keynote speaker, along with singer Andrae Crouch, for four-day evangelistic outreach for American dependents held at Kubasaki High School, co-sponsored by chaplains of Kadena AFB, Okinawa, and US Army Hawaii.
- Several times a speaker for both Catholic and Protestant Women of the Chapel, Hickam AFB and Schofield Barracks.
- Keynote speaker for annual USARHAW religious retreat at Kilauea Retreat Center, Island of Hawaii.
- Presented Good Friday services twice at the Hale Koa Hotel, Ft. DeRussy.
- Featured in the July-August 1979 issue of “The Military Chaplain.”
- Guest speaker at Duty Day with God at Tripler Army Hospital.
- Keynote speaker for Commanding General US Army, Hawaii, 25th Infantry, New Year’s Day Luncheon.
- Speaker at the Protestant Youth Chapel Summer Camp, North Shore, Oahu.
- Speaker at chapel services at Kaneohe Marine Base, Wheeler AFB and Camp Smith.
(Note: Please pray for more opportunities for both of the Turnbulls to minister to our military, either domestically or foreign.)